Originally a subsidiary of the LEGO Technic series, Bionicle was basically a line of construction toys that eventually became one of the company’s best-selling properties. It became a successful franchise and helped saved the company from its financial crisis of the late 1990s. Fast forward to 2020, Bionicle: Quest for Mata Nui is a free open-world RPG set in the universe of LEGO Bionicle.
This fangame by game developer “Crainy” took six-years to complete, and is set during the first year of Bionicle. It follows the Toa story and their quest to collect the six great masks of power to rid the island Mata Nui of the evil influence called Makuta. The game attempts to capture the atmosphere and narrative of the first year of Bionicle.
- Turn the wheel to activate all 4 battle arms
- Rip off hero masks with the hook blades
- Pick up masks with the mask grabber; pop off the Skull Spider mask
- Durable design for intense action play; stands over 7" (20cm) tall
- Combine with 70791 Skull Warrior and 70793 Skull Basher to create a multi-headed warrior using online building instructions at LEGO.com/BIONICLE/bi
For the longest time, this game has been a one-man project done by me. However, in the more recent stages of development I’ve received some incredibly valuable help from key contributors, especially when it comes to the creation of 3D assets,” said Crainy.