Photo credit: Jiujiu Hu via Yanko Design
At first glance, the Baseus Personal Refrigerator by designer Jiujiu Hu may look like a miniature TV set, but it’s actually designed to chill things. The design is kept simple, with only a leather strap up top to make it easier to transport. Inside, there’s a shelf that splits the refrigerated section into two, making it easy to separate your drinks from the food.
Before refrigerators, people used ice houses to keep things chilled. They were normally located near freshwater lakes, which get plenty of snow and ice during the winter. Some who live off the grid near mountainsides, or just on a camping trip, still use runoff from melting snow to cool drinks today. However, the word “refrigeratory” was used as early as the 17th century (1601 – 1700).
- MODERN ELECTRIC BEVERAGE COOLER - This 3.2 cubic feet, free standing beverage refrigerator features an elegant see through, left hinge glass front door with a stainless steel frame for you to view your wine, beer or soda at a glance. Its white LED interior light illuminates for easy, nighttime selection of your favorite chilled drink
- LARGE CAPACITY BEER & WINE CHILLER - Under counter beverage cooler with large, internal storage design is equipped with 3 adjustable and removable chrome shelves. Drinks organizer conveniently holds up to 120 standard sized soda or beer cans, or several bottles of wine
- ADVANCED TEMPERATURE CONTROLS - Single zone beverage mini refrigerator has an easy touch temperature control that cools down to 34°F, and large digital display for quick monitoring and setting of any temperature. Its memory function automatically restores the preset temperature of the cooler in case it becomes unplugged, or in the event of a power outage
- POWERFUL COOLING SYSTEM - Our 120V 240W heavy duty, vertical chiller features energy efficient advanced technology, and a whisper quiet compressor that works with a small convection fan to cool quickly, and keep consistent air circulation for a uniform temperature supply inside. Perfect for an office, dorm, apartment, RV, restaurant, home kitchen and more
- AUTO DEFROSTING FUNCTION - Beverage cooler is also designed with an additional temperature sensor for auto defrost mode. External size: 18.9” W (front across) x 33.3” H (top to bottom) x 17.30” D (front to back). Internal size: 16” W x 29” H x 12” D. NOTE: Images show EXTERNAL Dimensions rounded UP to nearest decimal. Warning: Do not use this cooler to store fresh foods, such as meats, vegetables, fruits, etc. This product can only be used to chill beverages.
Now if you’re talking about domestic refrigerators, they didn’t come about until 1913, and were invented by Fred W. Wolf from Fort Wayne, Indiana. The early models consisted of a refrigerator unit mounted atop of an ice box. It wasn’t until 1914 when engineer Nathaniel B. Wales came up with the idea for a practical electric refrigeration unit.