Swiss company Hydromea has just unveiled a prototype of the world’s first wireless portable underwater drone. It’s compact enough to fit into a backpack, can be remotely controlled, and transmits HD video in real=time without requiring any physical connection to the pilot. Some practical uses in inspection scenarios include surveying confined flooded spaces, like hydropower dams, closed waterways and ballast tanks on ships.
Other technical specifications were not released, but we do know that the drone measures 70cm in length, weighs 7kg and is powered by 7 DiskDrive thrusters, which allows for 6 DoF maneuverability. Plus, it comes equipped with a camera capable of tilting and zooming in on subjects, complete with a short focusing distance.
- 4K UHD Underwater Photography; MINI can capture UHD footage at 1080p or 4K resolution and 12 MP resolution for photos; Combined with F3.0 lens and 2 x1200 Lumens LED lights, you can enjoy the real time video from mysterious underwater world
- Game control Maneuverability; MINI underwater drone comes with a remote controller, which can precisely control the underwater drone to move, tilt up, down, lock the depth, speed up and adjust LED brightness; With the CHASING APP, your phone can also remotely control like a gamepad; Exploring the ocean floor is as easy and fun as a game
- Adjustable Tilt-lock And Depth lock; With game control maneuverability and ±45° adjustable Tilt Lock mode, GLADIUS MINI moves fluidly in all directions for epic access to underwater scenes at speeds up to 4 knots; Intelligent Control algorithms and one touch Depth Lock Mode help you navigate freely and hover at depth to find and capture exactly what you want
- Immersive Underwater VR And Live streaming MINI supports Virtual Reality equipment to provide a stunning underwater VR experience without ever getting wet; You can also view and share live media on up to 3 wireless devices, PLUS big screen TV;monitor with HDMI port
- Fully Portable; The weight of GLADIUS MINI is less than 5.5lbs; The size is 8.9inch*15 inch, which is similar to 15 Zoll Macbook Pro; MINI can dive to an incredible 330 feet with 100 m tether, Whether you're diving, fishing, taking underwater photography, or yachting, the GLADIUS MINI is your best choice
Since radio signals do not travel under water, Hydromea had to develop a new technology to control the drone: a wireless optical system which uses light to transmit high-bandwidth data. With our unique technology that is robust and miniaturized, we can finally cut the cord and unleash the freedom of portable robotics underwater,” said Felix Schill, co-founder and CTO of Hydromea.