Photo credit: Maitane Iruretagoyena
Researchers at the MIT Media Lab City Science have developed an on-demand autonomous bicycle that boasts a mechanical attachment, enabling it to shift easily from bicycle mode (when in use) to tricycle mode after the rider dismounts. It seamlessly transitions from one configuration to the other by using two linear actuators that separate and rejoin the wheels as necessary.
This prototype comes equipped with two electric motors – a hub motor to drive the front wheel and a second for steering – to propel the bike when in autonomous mode. Simply request the bike using an app and it will autonomously navigate its way to the user. After the trip is complete, the bike will automatically ride to its next user or stop for a charge at a charging station.
- STRONGER 350W MOTOR ---The ebike SUNSHINE is equipped with 350W high speed brushless motor, providing more than enough to power your daily commute, a cruise on the mountain, or a meander along your favorite trail. With speeds up to 20 mph, It will get you there swiftly.
- REMOVABLE BATTERY: With the 36V 10Ah Lithium-Ion battery, you can reach a range of up to 22-40 miles per charge. Plenty for a day’s adventure or most trips to travel and back. You can charge the battery on/off the ebike by your convenience. No worry for being stolen.
- HIGH COST PERFORMANCE PARTS: The light, strong Aluminum Alloy frame, Aluminum Alloy double-walled rims are for greater durability, A high- strength front suspension fork, professional 21-Speed gears, front and rear mechanical disc brakes, can take your riding comfort to the next level and keep you safe.
- 3 WORKING MODES --- Ebike & Assisted bicycle & Normal bike. With the LED 4-speed smart meter button, you can choose the electric assist power according to your needs. You can add a burst of speed with the throttle, which is ideal for pulling away from traffic lights. Combining three modes would be a better choice.
- SERVICE AVAILABLE --- This bicycle arrives 85% assembled. It's not hard to finish aseembly by yourself---Watch "Videos for this product" on this page. The assembly service on this page is provided and charged by third-party company partnered with Amazon. If you can't finish by yourself, you can click and choose the service.
The current MIT Autonomous Bicycle has been ridden and tested on the MIT campus with promising results. In the coming semester, Coretti plans to further integrate the autonomy hardware and software and explore and validate new designs and business cases,” said the researchers.