Vodafone auctioned off the world’s first ever SMS text message, which contained ‘Merry Christmas’, as an NFT. This festive message was sent on the Vodafone network in December 199 and all proceeds received will be donated to UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
Believe it or not, the winning bid ended up being over $121,000 USD. The NFT buyer is set to receive exclusive ownership of a unique, detailed replica of the original communication protocol of the first text message ever transmitted. For those unfamiliar with NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens), they are basically a form of cryptocurrency that convert digital pieces of art or even physical objects into unique, verifiable items that can be traded on the blockchain.
- Intuitive crypto wallet - perfect for beginners and veterans alike.
- Features a secure certified chip (CC EAL5+) designed to withstand sophisticated attacks, and to protect your valuable assets.
- Buy, sell, exchange and grow your crypto through our proprietary app: Ledger Live. All-in-one place.
- Manage all your assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum & tokens on the go. The Ledger Nano X connects to your phone with Bluetooth and has a large screen for ease of use
- Since we have rebranded, you may receive a package and/or product with the old Ledger logo on it
We’re proud to be bringing together a major technology innovation from our past with cutting-edge technology of today, to help people in desperate need of support. This initiative embodies our ‘Together We Can’ spirit,” said Ahmed Essam, CEO Vodafone UK.