You’ve probably seen the rovers, but what about a motorcycle designed for the Moon? Meet the Tardigrade by Hookie Co. Featuring a custom designed chassis, 12-piece Kevlar 3D wheels measuring just under 24-inches in diameter, and a laser-cut aluminum main frame, swingarm as well as fork.
Most of the chassis parts were 3D-printed, including the handlebar mounting unit and the wheel caps, using a light, strong, and flexible plastic. The smaller parts were manufactured using laser sintering with white nylon plastic. The coolest part is its exoskeleton, a self-supporting frame crafted from stainless steel tubing. There are just 7 mounting points that connect the skeleton to the main frame, thus providing quick access to the heart of the Tardigrade in case of emergency repairs. You can check out in person at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles until March 27, 2022.
- Take a journey of exploration with this LEGO NASA Space Shuttle Discovery (10283) model building kit for adults
- Enjoy hours of immersive building as you create both the Space Shuttle Discovery and the Hubble Space Telescope from NASA’s 1990 STS-31 mission
- Check out all the authentic features, including the opening payload bay, retractable landing gear, opening cockpit, moving elevons, space arm, plus 5 seats for the crew
- The Hubble Space Telescope LEGO build features movable solar panels and a hatch door, just like on the real thing
- Looking for the best gifts for adults who love a creative project? This space shuttle model will appeal to space enthusiasts and anyone wanting an immersive building challenge, making it a great gift
The goal is to make the Tardigrade as realistic as possible. In addition, the design should be modular as far as possible in order to be able to use it for future interstellar projects,” said Hookie.