Photo credit: Lets Go Digital
Nintendo Co. Ltd. filed a patent for a ‘touch pen attachment, controller system and game system’ on June 4, 2019 with the USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office), and this filing was just published last week (January 16, 2020). Unlike the recently released stylus, this the new touch pen is considerably shorter, but has the same exact length as a Joy-Con and can be connected to the controller with a slide movement.
You’ll find two buttons on the pen that serve as the Second L + R button, which are also present on the Joy-Con controller. However, when the pen is connected, they’re covered up. These buttons can easily be accessed with your fingers, complete with larger buttons, so you can use them like a shoulder button. A chord can be attached to the pen so that it can be worn around your wrist.
- Play your way with the Nintendo Switch gaming system. Whether you’re at home or on the go, solo or with friends, the Nintendo Switch system is designed to fit your life. Dock your Nintendo Switch to enjoy HD gaming on your TV. Heading out? Just undock your console and keep playing in handheld mode
- This model includes battery life of approximately 4.5 to 9 hours
- The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (games sold separately)
- Model number HAC 001( 01)
- Handheld Nintendo Switch gaming
- Optimized for personal, handheld play; Nintendo Switch Lite is a small and light Nintendo Switch system
- Features a sleek, unibody design with fully integrated controls and a built in plus Control Pad
- Compatible with all physical and digital Nintendo Switch games that support Handheld mode
There’s no word yet on pricing or availability, but we would not be surprised to see this bundled with a new Nintendo Switch Pro console that is set to be unveiled later this year.