Researchers from Meiji University, led by Homei Miyashita, have created the Norimaki Synthesizer. This lickable gadget uses ion electrophoresis in five different gels filled with electrolytes that supply controlled amounts of each of the five basic tastes. When activated, each one can apply an arbitrary taste to the user’s tongue, comparable to the way optical displays produce various shades from three basic colors.
How do you activate this gadget? Well, when electricity is applied to the tongue, the cations in the gel move to the cathode side and away from the tongue, thus allowing one to reproduces different tastes by individually suppressing the sensation of each of the gels. Unlike similar studies in the past, this one utilizes an electric current for electrophoresis rather than electrically stimulating the tongue, and does not require one to swallow a solution to deliver the taste.
- BECOME A MARTIAN BOTANIST -- Help kids build a colony on Mars! Build a biodome, make Martian soil, create a mini compost and learn how food would grow on the Red Planet. SEEDS NOT INCLUDED.
- SURVIVE ON MARS -- Mars doesn’t have water and the air is unbreathable. That makes human survival a little complicated. This science kit teaches kids how plants create oxygen and fresh water!
- ECO-ENGINEERING STEM FOR AGES 8+ -- After children complete their own plant-filled biodome, they will love to plant seeds and witness germination. Plant radishes, chickpeas, beans and more!
- KID-FRIENDLY, FULL-COLOR INSTRUCTION BOOKLET -- Science should be fun and easy to understand. That’s why each step in the activities comes with an illustration to show exactly what needs to be done!
- ADDITIONAL SURVIVAL EXPERIMENTS -- Children will test plant nutrients, clone food and check for UV radiation! Ever wonder why we couldn't have fossil fuels on Mars? Experiment to find out!