Samson Sky’s Switchblade flying car has just received FAA approval, which gives the company permission for flight testing. Think of it as a luxury car meets personal flying vehicle, powered by a hybrid electric-drive system. After your flight, its wings simply fold into the sides of the vehicle, allowing you to drive on the road like a normal car.
It has room for two passengers and capable of achieving a maximum altitude of 16,000-feet while cruising at 160 mph. Just high enough for you to enjoy the view, but low enough to make landing a relatively easy task with the proper training and / or licenses. Will you be able to get insurance on the Switchblade? There is no definitive answer yet, although some believe that owners will have to get both airplane and auto insurance.
- Light as a Smartphone - Weighing less than 0 55lbs / 249 grams, DJI Mini SE is roughly the same weight as the smartphone. In the United States and Canada, you can fly this camera drone without the need to register your drone with the local government.
- Capture on the Go - The lightweight and powerful DJI Mini SE camera drone is the ideal for creators on the move. The ultra-portable design allows you to effortlessly capture moments in unforgettable ways.
- More Time in the Sky - DJI Mini SE's weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer drones on the market. Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery.
- Capture the Detail - DJI Mini SE supports 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K HD videos. A 3-axis motorized gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear ultra-smooth footage.
- Upgraded Wind Resistance - DJI Mini SE can resist 29-38kph winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
[The team] took off their ‘I’m doing R&D,’ and they put on their ‘I am flight-test’ crew hats, and I think that really set the tone for everything after. We’re in a different game now,” said Sam Bousfield, CEO of Samson Sky and inventor of the Switchblade.