One thing many smartphones still have are unsightly notches, but Xiaomi will definitely change that in the near future. This week they unveiled their third-generation under-display camera technology, and it’s better than ever. Users will now be able to experience the front display in its entirety, thanks to a custom pixel arrangement and optimized camera algorithm that offer the same performance as normal selfie cameras.
For those who like to get more technical, their self-developed pixel arrangement enables the screen to pass light through the gap area of sub-pixels. This means that each single pixel retains a complete RGB subpixel layout without sacrificing pixel density. Xiaomi has effectively doubled the number of horizontal and vertical pixels, achieving the same pixel density above the camera as on the rest of the display area. In other words, you won’t even notice there’s a camera there, since that area has the same brightness, color gamut and color accuracy as the rest of the display.
- 6.47” FHD + curved AMOLED display. Watch your screen brought to life with NXTVISION display technology. The stunning dual-sided 3D glass design adds to the majestic display quality.
- Quad rear cameras with dual LED flash: 64MP (ultra high-res) with hybrid auto focus + 2MP 2.9μm super low light video + 16MP (123° super wide-angle) + 5MP (macro). 24MP front-facing selfie camera.
- Up to 128GB of internal memory, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card (sold separately).
- Compatible with GSM carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile. This device is also certified for use on Verizon’s LTE network. If your device is not receiving messages or experiences an error when making phone calls on Verizon, your account may need to be provisioned to support “CDMA-less” devices. To do this, please contact Verizon’s technical support team or your account’s business representative for assistance. This device is not compatible with CDMA networks.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 675, Octa-core processor, and 6GB of RAM for a smooth performance.
Based on the brand new pixel arrangement solution, Xiaomi’s 3rd Generation Under-Display Camera also adopts a special circuit design to hide more components under the RGB sub-pixels to further increase the light transmittance of the under-screen camera area. Combined with Xiaomi`s self-developed optimization algorithm, the new under-display camera offers a fully updated photography experience, matching the imaging performance of conventional front cameras,” said the company.