Photo credit: Alfred-Wegener-Institut / James McKay | CC-BY 4.0
Antarctica may be a cold, desolate place right now, but in ancient times, the southernmost point of the Earth was once home to many swampy rainforests that were teeming with life. This was determined by the sediment core retrieved by scientists working aboard the research icebreaker RV Polarstern in the Amundsen Sea near the Pine Island Glacier, which is dated to about 90 million years ago during the Cretaceous Period when dinosaurs roamed the lands.
Based on the soil content that this location, approximately 560-miles from the South Pole, the average annual temperatures ranged from 53-55° Fahrenheit, while average temperatures during the warmest summer months experienced 68-77° Fahrenheit. For some, that may not sound very warm, but considering the average annual temperature now is around minus 40° Fahrenheit, this was plenty warm for the many creatures that lived here.
- EXCITING WAY TO LEARN: Inspiring young children to learn has never been more fun with this Playz STEM science gift that allows kids to learn about circuits, switches, sound propagation & static electricity using home-made boomerangs, magnetic force fields, spectrum rainbows, telegraphic messages, whirling windmills, levitating serpents, & robotic turtles! Perfect fun & hands on educational christmas or birthday gift for boys, girls, kids, & teens Ages 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+ Years Old
- LOADED WITH VALUE: 26+ Experiments, 31+ Tools & Ingredients, and 72 Pages of activities and educational instructions guide.
- EASY TO USE: The fact-filled colorful lab guide is full of pictures and information giving kids hours of fun in their own home made science lab! A fun way to educate kids has never been easier!
- ENGAGES THE MIND: This STEM set challenges the child's mind as they work through the detailed easy-to-follow instruction guide, learning about classroom subjects in a fun way. You will even see test grades improve as a result. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
- TRUST OUR PLAYZ PROMISE: Do your research! You know the quality you will get when purchasing a Playz product. If you are unhappy with your purchase, contact us at anytime for a refund. Please note: you will need additional common household items for some experiments.
The dark-brownish gray soil they obtained was composed of fine-grained silt, while the clay bearing remains of fossil roots in a dense network, pollen / spores spanned 65 types of plants, with individual cell structures being clearly visible.