Jacob & Co. wants to put a miniature W16 engine from the Bugatti Chiron on your wrist, complete with moving pistons and a working crankshaft. It’s called the Bugatti Chiron Tourbillon, and at the press of a button, sixteen tiny pistons come to life inside the cylinders of a complex crankshaft milled from a single piece of steel so precise that it took three days alone to program the CNC machines to make it.
The animated component of the wristwatch has no horological purpose, but rather for aesthetics only. However, the motion of the engine drives two turbochargers on the case side that mimic those on the real-life Chiron’s engine block. Other features include two mainspring barrels – one to drive the automaton and the other to drive the movement – while the engine animation lasts approximately 20 seconds, and can be activated up to three times before its mainspring needs to be rewound.
- 1/14 Scale Radio Control Bugatti Chiron
- Full Function Radio Controlled; Licensed RC Model Car
- Forward, Reverse, Stop, Left & Right; Detailed Interior / Exterior; Independent Suspension System; Detailed Interior / Exterior
- Working Head & Tail Light; Authentic Car Styling with Injection Moulded Body
- Factory Assembled Ready to Run: Request Run 5 AA Batteries (Not Included) 9v Battery of the Controller (Not including)
The 578-component movement needs to be manually wound, with a one-minute tourbillon inclined on a 30-degree angle. The window to the tourbillon is inspired by Bugatti’s iconic horseshoe grill found on their many vehicles. The sides are handmade of sapphire crystal, thus letting you look into the mechanism. It can be customized in multiple colors to match your actual Bugatti Chiron, or set with gems. Jacob & Co will manufacture just 250 pieces worldwide, and price them at $280,000 each.