Canon’s new RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens is unlike any other that you’ve seen, as it enables stereoscopic 3D virtual reality (VR) capture on the EOS R5 camera. It’s also the world’s first digital interchangeable dual fisheye lens capable of shooting stereoscopic 3D 180° VR imagery to a single image sensor.
Featuring L-series optics engineered with an interpupillary distance of 60mm specially to deliver 3D imagery in VR with natural parallax that closely resembles human vision when viewed through a compatible headset. Boasting a 190° field of view captured from two separate optical systems, they deliver amazing results for 180° VR viewing platforms. Subwavelength coating technology enables VR creators to shoot regardless the time of day, or position of the sun. Available in December, priced at $1999 USD.
- High Image Quality featuring a New 45 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor.
- DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-51200; Expandable to 102400x1.
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 12 fps with Mechanical Shutter and up to 20 fps electronic (silent) shutter.
- Dual pixel CMOS AF covering approx. 100% area with 1,053 AF areas.
- Subject tracking of people and animals using deep learning technology.
At Canon, we innovate so creators can push artistic boundaries, and this commitment to innovation is what led us to introduce the new RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye lens. As Canon’s first entry into the world of virtual reality image capture, the EOS VR System represents an important milestone in our company’s rich history as a lens manufacturer and welcomes a bright future for VR content creation. This new RF lens produces a stunning 8K virtual reality image and sets itself apart through its simplified workflow. Our goal is to make immersive storytelling more accessible for all,” said Tatsuro ‘Tony’ Kano, executive vice president and general manager of Canon U.S.A.’s Imaging Technologies & Communications Group.