Jack Bally, a Vietnam War veteran, enlisted the help of an aerospace engineer to build a 1/3 scale B-17 Bomber that can actually fly. This four-engine aircraft boasts retractable landing gear and is constructed with all riveted aluminum construction to give it a more authentic look.
This wasn’t a walk in the park, as it took Jack around 17-years, or 40,000 hours, to complete and made its public debut at the 2018 EAA AirVenture air show. It’s powered by four Hirth F-30 two-stroke four cylinder air-cooled boxer engines making 60 horsepower each for a total output of 240 horsepower. Just how big is it? The aircraft has a 34-feet, 7 inch wingspan and weighs in at 1,800 pounds empty.
- Light as a Smartphone - Weighing less than 0 55lbs / 249 grams, DJI Mini SE is roughly the same weight as the smartphone. In the United States and Canada, you can fly this camera drone without the need to register your drone with the local government.
- Capture on the Go - The lightweight and powerful DJI Mini SE camera drone is the ideal for creators on the move. The ultra-portable design allows you to effortlessly capture moments in unforgettable ways.
- More Time in the Sky - DJI Mini SE's weight allows it to stay in the air longer than similar consumer drones on the market. Enjoy up to 30 minutes of flight time with a fully-charged battery.
- Capture the Detail - DJI Mini SE supports 12MP aerial photos and 2.7K HD videos. A 3-axis motorized gimbal provides superior camera stability and ensures clear ultra-smooth footage.
- Upgraded Wind Resistance - DJI Mini SE can resist 29-38kph winds and take off at a max altitude of 4,000 meters, so your footage is stable even when flying along a windy coastline or high above an alpine forest.
He said, I’m going to build a B-17 bomber. I said, yeah, right…Well, let’s see what you got going. So, we went up to his house and by golly he had all the plans, and what he was going to do, and had it started. I was just amazed at it,” said Richard Kosi, Bally’s friend.