NASA has officially revealed its first all-electric X-plane, the X-57 Maxwell, which is currently being prototyped in several phases of operation at the Armstrong Flight Research Center located inside the Edwards Air Force Base. In addition to being NASA’s first piloted X-plane in two decades, this configuration boasts a skinny, high-aspect ratio wing, designed specially to boost efficiency by reducing drag in flight.
Its electric cruise motors with five-foot diameter propellers on the wingtips are used to recover energy that would otherwise be lost to wingtip vortices. Twelve smaller high-lift motors and propellers on the wing’s leading edge enables the aircraft to take off at standard speeds.
- Bring to life the rocket launch that took humans to the moon with the meter-high (approximately 1: 110 scale) model rocket of the NASA Apollo Saturn V. This space toy with astronaut figures lets you role play the many missions the Saturn V completed.
- The Saturn V rocket kit includes 3 removable rocket stages (first, s-ii second, and s-ivb third) below the launch escape system, command and service module. Plus, there are 2 minifigures to accompany the Lunar Lander and splashdown rocket toy.
- After building the Saturn V rocket, you can display the spacecraft horizontally with 3 stands. The Lunar Lander docks with the command and service modules while the Lunar Orbiter sends the rocket into space.
- Recreate space adventures with this NASA toy and action figures based off of the included booklet about the manned Apollo Moon missions and the fan designers of this build and play set
- This spaceship toy measures over 39-inches (100cm) high and 6-inches (17cm) in diameter. It includes 1,969 pieces and is ideal for boys and girls 14 years or older.
These smaller motors activate during takeoff and spin the propellers, but deactivate during cruise mode, at which point the propeller blades will fold in to the nacelles, thus reducing drag.